Friday, June 26, 2009

Keepin it real on Facebook

Last year I had joined Facebook trying to find an old friend. She came to our town after the sudden death of her mother when we were 12 yrs old. She lived with her aunt and uncle just a few doors down the street. We went to jr and sr high school and even college. But after I finished (she was in a 5 yr program) we lost touch. I knew she moved to Georgia but nothing more specific.

I figured maybe she was on Facebook and after sometime, she did join and it's been fun. Unfortunately, my sister in law also friended me. What could I do? At the time I didn't realize you could restrict what people saw.

Now I don't update my status a lot. But I do like to check out everyone and leave comments. Except a few weeks ago. I can't even remember -or find- exactly what I said, but it was something about my husband. I'm sure it wasn't too bad. But of course, my sister in law had to leave a smart comment on my wall which I saw in my email. I know. She is just sticking up for her brother, but honestly. After 21 years of being with my husband, I think I've earned the right to say whatever I want. I've been with him longer than my mother in law and father in law (divorced after 7 years), my sister in law (divorced after 7 years), and my brother in law (still married but they haven't been together as long as us).

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten so bothered by it. I did change my settings. I don't think she will notice because I don't post often anyway. I love my husband and think he's a great dad and husband, but let's be honest. We don't get along all the time. I get on his nerves and he gets on mine. Sometimes you just need to vent and if I want to do it on Facebook too bad. It was very hard for me not to reply with a smart mouthed sarcastic comment. I just called my friend who also just went through this with her in-laws and Facebook.

I guess that's why I love my blog and that my husband doesn't even know what it's called or how to access it. This is my little domain. My relief channel. Hopefully I don't lose this too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you! There are so many real life people that don't know I blog. I like it that way too. I don't facebook only blog. My mom reads my blog which is sometimes weird. I warned her though - you might not always like what I write.

Simplelivin' said...

Yes, I love the privacy of blogging. Although, I have to admit that I allowed my hubby to read it b/c he wanted to know what I was doing online all the time.