Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Another Mother of the year moment

I had planned on posting about a queer incident yesterday involving a coupon, but of course this morning changed all that!



Today is the last day of school and it's a half day for the kids. We are all heading out the door when my son asks me where his present is for his teacher. OH SHIT! Yup forgot. Last week was Jeffrey's last day at his enrichment class and I forgot to get a gift. Luckily, my next door neighbor had some extra potted plants so I stole one from her and sent him on his way.

Not so lucky today. You'd think I'd make a reminder note especially after what I did last week. No, guess I was relying on my brain. I felt so bad and told him I would drop it off before the end of the day. I have to rush out of work a little earlier than my scheduled half day so I can grab something and get it to him before school ends. I have really been horrible at keeping track of things. Just like my couponing, I have dropped the habit of list making and calendar scheduling. It's as if my brain is missing some key synapses. Large gaping holes of missing synapses. And everyday hearing my husband and kids counting down to the last day should have reminded me to get a gift instead of just annoying the heck out of me.

I just don't want him to feel sad or be embarrassed that he is not handing anything to his teacher today. I never want to see either of my children experience that kind of sadness. Probably, because I was that child that never had anything to give my teachers while the other children did. As an adult, I understand that it's the parent's responsibility to take care of those details. Jeffrey wasn't real upset about it and seemed fine that a gift would be there for him at the end of the day. Paige would have had a huge fit over it and cried for days!

Some day I will get my act together!

Edit- I had texted my next door neighbor that morning so she was aware that I was taking a plant. I just haven't replaced it yet. Heck, I still haven't bought my own flowers or vegetable plants yet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did the neighbor know that you took the plant?

just found that funny. and, don't think you are the only one without gifts for teachers : )

Rochelle said...

Dmom-
Yes- I had sent frantic texts at 7am when I realized what happened! She is used to this- cat food, blue bags (we have to use special bags for garbage pickup), golf clubs - God love her!