Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Plastic vs Glass

Lately I've been trying to decide whether I should get rid of all my plastic food containers.  I worry about chemicals leaching into our food from the plastic containers we use.  While I would like to use glass containers, I'm not sure how practical it would be with my kids.  I have some vintage glass containers that were my grandmothers and I would never use them for fear of them breaking.  They were from her first refrigerator.  Back then- probably round the late 40's early 50's- these glass food containers came with the refrigerators.  (Picture to be added once I get my lazy butt up to take a picture!)

I'm guessing there are some containers out there that are bpa free.  But in my house, leftovers get sent home with family members and I am always having to buy new.  I'm guessing bpa free are probably more expensive and to have to keep replacing would eventually get expensive.  Though, I wouldn't be sending home glass containers either.  Hmmmm..... something to think about in my effort to be more green.

1 comment:

Mommyto3andahusky said...

I got rid of all of my plastic and went with glass. I don't regret it at all! :) I blogged about it here:

http://purplebookbloggingmommy.blogspot.com/2011/02/kitchen-spring-cleaning-and.html