Saturday, January 8, 2011

You can ring my bell.....

 I loved that song by Anita Ward.  I was around 9 years old when it came out so I actually could hit some of the high notes. Ring- a-linga-ling
But getting to the reason for my post.  I told you about how I burned my pot and how the internet helped me salvage it.  In fact when I went to the store today, Giant Eagle had Bar Keeper's Friend on sale.  So I bought some and tried it on the pot- and it's almost like brand new!!!  The Lord really smiled on me today.

Ok, back to ringing my bell.  Using the internet for the pot reminded me about another dilemma I had.  Shortly after moving in to our house, I noticed that the previous owners had purchased and installed an inexpensive wireless doorbell.  I couldn't stand the look of it.  There was an old round brass doorbell on the front door and a large box on the wall in my bedroom (that I thought was the doorbell but turns out it was part of the elaborate alarm system- more on that in a later post).  I really like the look of the old door bell yet it didn't work.

So I headed to the computer and googled fixing doorbells.  I found a great site that talked about restoring old doorbells.  And it seemed as easy as removing the outer cover, removing the electrical wires from the leads and lightly sanding them.  Put it all back together and it could be the answer. And guess what- it worked for my door!  Oh the thrill and shock at finding out that this little box was actually my doorbell sound maker thing.  It makes an old fashioned buzzing sound that I love.  But then I had to figure out what the big box on my bedroom wall belonged to.

All it took was about 5 minutes to remove the cover and sand the copper wires to make an old doorbell come back to life.  Another reason to love the internet!

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

You had quite the Ms. Fix-it day! :) I'm glad you got your pot fixed. Hope your having as much success in your reading for the B90Days challenge.