Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reading the Bible in 90 Days

While on leave, I stumbled across a blog that challenged people to read the Bible in 90 Days.  I have always wanted to try to read the Bible straight through, but never made it passed Deuteronomy in the Old Testament and I normally just go straight to the New Testament. Seeing this challenge was a great way to motivate me, especially since there was accountability!

Like I said, I have tried to read the Bible but always get stuck around the end of Exodus and middle of Numbers.  Several years ago, I took some Biology classes at a local Christian College to refresh myself and thought it would be nice to take some Bible courses.  I figured it would force me to read the Bible. And I did, I just skipped a lot since most of the exam questions were taken from our class notes.  Yah- I pretty much cheated on reading!

But this time I am internally motivated to get through the Bible.  I don't know why.  Maybe God is trying to tell me that I need to work on myself.  And what better way than to read His Word.  My son motivated me as well as he said his New Year's resolution is to pray more.  He even carries his New Testament story book around with him to read the prayers at dinner. 

I have to say that it is challenging to find the time to do the assigned readings.  Especially my two "favorite" chapters!  And this past weekend was tough with Jeff's grandmother's funeral.  Last night I had to catch up on 3 days of readings which ended up being the entire book of Deuteronomy.  Even though it was Moses's speech to the people repeating everything from Exodus to Numbers, it was a good read and I knocked it out in a couple hours. 

Each week there is a check in to let the mentors know how you are doing and a Twitter Party Monday evenings to discuss what we read, what confused us, etc.  Like a book club I'm guessing.  I love it!!

We're at Day 16 of the challenge so it may be too late to join, but they are repeating in July and I highly recommend it for anyone. There is a 90 Days Bible you can buy, but I am using my Catholic edition Bible and find it works great. 

This is one of my resolutions for the year- to really read the Bible.  I haven't posted my resolutions, give me a couple days to regroup and I will!  Now it's time to get to reading!!

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Glad you're enjoying it, Rochelle! One thing that struck me last year when I read Moses speech covering the history of the people of Isreal is that history must be important to God, so it should be important to me.

Rochelle said...

So true- I never thought of it like that!!