Monday, August 3, 2009

Shaving,Weddings,and insanity!

Tuesday I woke up with a fever and horrible earache. I pretty much slept the day away and Wednesday wasn't much better. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get into the doctor's until Thursday. It was just a buildup of wax and fluid and by Friday evening I was good to go.

Friday I worked a half day as my nephew was getting married on Saturday. On my way home from work, my daughter calls to ask me something. Luckily, I had stopped at the bank to deposit my paycheck and was sitting in the parking lot when I took the call. I knew I was going to hear something big when she started out the conversation-

P- Mom, I need to ask how you would feel about something.
Me- Okkkaaay???
P-What do you think about me shaving my legs?
M- Well, your dad and I haven't really thought about when you should start shaving or discussed anything.
P- Oh. ( Real quiet). I uh, shaved them this morning. I didn't get cut. Are you mad???
M- (Real quiet). No, I'm just surprised. I'm glad you didn't get cut. I kinda would have liked to be there to talk to you about shaving before you actually did it.
P- Are you mad? I'm sorry! Is daddy going to be mad?
M- No I'm not mad and I don't think daddy is going to be either.

After that I just drove home in shock! Her other friends started shaving their legs and I guess she felt she should too. I'm just nervous that she fell into her own little peer pressure. My husband doesn't think shaving her legs is going to lead to a life of crime, but it just made me nervous. I don't care that she shaved her legs, though I think this could have waited a few more years. It's just she getting closer to being a teen and I don't want her following the crowd and doing things because her friends are doing things. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this - we'll see.

Saturday Jeff's nephew got married. It was bittersweet as he was only 4 yrs old when we started dating and it's rather hard to see him grow into a man and get married. But it was a great wedding and a lot of fun.

Back to the grind today. And it's not looking good so far!!

No comments: