Seems like that is my new mantra....playing catch up! I thought things would get much easier around my home once I started working in town. For the most part it is, but for some reason I also seem to be spinning my wheels. We are a busy family but no busier than before when I worked out of town. Perhaps I got lazy about keeping on track with my home and blogging. Those are the two areas where I have really let go. Especially blogging and cooking.
Blogging has taken a hit because I was able to do some blogging from my other job. There was so much down time and I could write up a rough draft and then add photos/edit at home. My new job does not allow that freedom, which is ok. My other boss didn't care what we did on the internet- except once when the one girl accidentally typed in wrong word and got porno! We all laughed but were much more careful. I wouldn't dare work on my blog at my new job. It's a weird office situation where everyone is looking for everyone else to do something wrong so they can tell. Lot of these people have been in their positions for DECADES..like 30+ years...and there is a lot of animosity among them. I think they should just retire and let new people run the office like it should and could be. I'm just saying. I love my job and it could really be a great working office and hopefully one day it will.
My home has really taken back seat to life as well. I have not been cooking very much this summer. Mainly because I have been trying to run daily with my husband and the cross country kids at practices. Because they practice in the evening, it is hard to cook, eat, and then go run. But if we waited till after practice it is late, we're tired, and grabbing food to go is just so easy. I know all excuses, but their mine and I'm sticking with them!!
So lately I've been reading my favorite blogs again and missing everyone. I thought I would love to make money blogging full time and staying home..blah blah blah...but realized that it's probably not for me. I don't like writing. I don't use flowery words and I jump from thought to thought (quotes from college English professors). But that's the scientist in me. Lab write ups are to be direct, factual, and don't require full sentences. None of my professors liked those excuses. (Again their mine and I won't let go!!) I sometimes fight myself on how to say things. I know what I want to say but it never comes out right. Then I read someone else's blog and they eloquently say exactly what I was trying! And I don't seem to have a large vocabulary either. Despite how much I read, which I heard increases ones vocabulary and ability to write. My daughter writes stories beautifully. She has the gift. I'm amazed at how she can easily express herself. At least I helped create that. Yah. See one who cannot gives it to one who can. Take that Hallmark!
(On a side note, why doesn't Hallmark have a dysfunctional family greeting card section? I find it so hard to pick out cards for my family cause they don't tend to fall in the "you've always been there for me and guided me" category. I need a "for the bipolar, manic depressive locked yourself in your room for years" card. I'm just saying again. Think it could be a gold mine.)
Here's where we are a few months since I last posted- a real post that is!
1. Our house- Roof done! Siding done! Gutters done! But we still need to finish some little things like fixing the dining room window that got broke during the removal of the old siding, fixing the blacktop in our drive way that was parted like the Red Sea when said roof was being hauled away, wires need to be re-attached to house and most importantly the front porch needs painted. Here's quick before and now shot of house:
I couldn't find pictures of the house before the roof was taken off. I will try later when I have time (insert hysterical laughing!)
And here we are today...
As you can see from the front photo, the columns, large picture window, and porch floor (and under floor) need painted. Because of the shape/features of the columns and window, I choose to leave them unsided and will paint. The color of the siding is called Hearthstone and actually has a green undertone to it. I hate the way it looks in the bright sunlight from 1-3pm. Then it really shows the green. I've been told that I am the only one that sees it and the photos were shot in morning light when it does keep the brown color. I do love it when I wear my sunglasses so that's what I do- look at it wearing my shades!!
Along with the siding, we also have to rip out bushes, shrubs, and redo the landscaping. That will probably happen in Spring 2013.
2. Paige's room is still the same. Although right before school started, I gave (bribed) her with money to clean out her closet and drawers before we went school shopping. BEST.IDEA.EVER. Girl will do anything for money. (Ummm..maybe that's not a good thing. Will need to work on that SOON). She not only cleaned out her clothe closets and drawers, but every single drawer and cupboard and chests in her room. Best $38 I have spent in a long time. Except she piled all her cast offs in my room for me to deal with, but I've been there before. (Will add link to when we had Ebay sale and she dumped all her stuff on my bed- again more hysterical laughing).
3. We went to Nags Head for vacation and it was great. So many funny things happened of course. Come on it's me we're talking about. Nothing normal happens in my life! Here are some pictures...
It was the best vacation I've had in years. We did nothing but hang out at the house, swim in the pool, and head to beach. Total relaxation!
4. School started couple weeks ago and it's been great. Love that they are on schedule and out of my house all day. It does stay cleaner during the school year, though they can make huge mess from 3-4pm before I get home from work.
They are getting so big and grown up. Paige wouldn't let me take a picture of her first day. If you look closely in the second picture, you may see her friend laughing in the front seat at me chasing her down the sidewalk. She later apologized and said she was just so nervous and didn't sleep at all the night before. I'm still waiting for the photo she promised we could retake!
5. Lastly, my husband has decided to jump on the Damn Ramsey bandwagon. WTF! I finally gave up and figured that I will pay off debt as I can and still spend money on things I wanted. And now he wants to pay off debt and only buy with cash. No credit cards or buy now pay later deals. That's why Paige's room and the whole house is at a stand still. Plus I started liking buying things that I never would before cause I was trying to pay off debt. Men! Drives me nuts that for years I wanted to do Damn Ramsey and now that I gave up, he wants to jump in! Ugghhh!
I have more to say, but this is quite the long post. Plus I need to break down some of the above into posts of their own. I will try to get back to posting. This time I pinkie swear!!